July 4th is right on the horizon and what is better than a Keto Summer Salads. I know many people do BBQ’s and such so I thought I would share my favorite Keto Summer Salads and remember I have some good summer drinks either here.
Makes enough for everyone. You can even do little jars and layer them. I like using a big bowl or even a 12 x 9 cake pan works. This 7-Layer Salad is a go for all you Ketoers and Low Carbers out there. Enjoy.
Seven Layer Salad
- 1 ½ head of iceberg lettuce/or romaine
- 4 eggs, boiled
- 2 packages of bacon cooked and cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large cucumbers chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar substitute (optional)
- Get a large bowl. You can also make individual ones in mason jars, these keep well in the fridge up to a week as long as you don’t mix the salad till it’s time to eat.
- Chop the iceberg lettuce, I actually use romaine hearts for mine, and put in the bowl as the first layer on the bottom of your dish.
- Chop the hard-boiled eggs and season with salt and pepper
- Add the cucumber layer.
- Add the layer of chopped green onions.
- Add the red onion layer.
- Add the bacon pieces layer.
- Add the cherry tomatoes.
- Add the shredded Cheddar to cover the top.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar substitute, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the mayonnaise/sour cream mixture as the final layer.
- Refrigerate the salad until ready to serve. Up to 36 hours.
- Once ready to serve simply toss the salad so that layers get covered in the dressing. If you use the cake pan you don’t have to do this. Just scoop layers out.
YIELD: 20 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving:CALORIES: 418 TOTAL FAT: 31.9g SATURATED FAT: 12.2g Cholesterol: 109mg SODIUM: 150mg Carbohydrates: 8.8g FIBER: 1g SUGAR: 3.4g Protein: 23.4g
Another Great Keto Summer Salad
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken or leftover rotisserie chicken, cut in 1 inch cubes (or cook 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you don’t have leftover chicken.)
- 1 cup sliced Greek Peperoncini
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced green onion
- 4 oz. Feta Cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice (I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice)
- 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning (or slightly more)
- Cut the stems off the Greek Peperoncini and let them drain well in a colander. (I use kitchen shears to cut off the stems, which makes it easy and not messy!)
- If you don’t have leftover cooked chicken, cook 4 chicken breasts for about 15 minutes in barely-simmering water with a little chicken flavor base, then let chicken cool and shred apart.
- If you have the pre-cooked chicken from Costco that I used or a rotisserie chicken, just cut into pieces about 1-inch square.
- Whisk together mayo, lemon juice, and a little Greek Seasoning to make the dressing, then taste to see if you want a little more Greek Seasoning.
- When the Peperoncini have drained well, use your finger to pull out the seeds inside each one, then cut into strips with the kitchen shears.
- Cut the Feta cheese into cubes, cut Kalamata olives in half, and slice green onions on the diagonal.
- Put chunks of chicken into a salad bowl and toss with the desired amount of dressing (you might want a little less dressing if you prefer your salad on the drier side.)
- Then mix in the sliced Peperoncini, Kalamata olives, and sliced green onion.
- Add the Feta cheese and gently stir to combine.
- Season salad to taste with a little fresh-ground black pepper.
- This will keep in the fridge for several days and is delicious for a no-heat lunch to take to work!
This recipe was found on https://kalynskitchen.com and I fell in love with it so I thought I would share it here. I hope you enjoy it.
If you like salads you should really go and check out our new cookbook with over 60 different salad recipes all low carb and salad dressing to keep you in your macros. Take a look by clicking here.